Pages

Thursday, March 13, 2014

I'm so sorry

I'm sorry y'all...

I dropped the kids off at school this morning and turned on the radio as I headed to the gym. The headline I heard was: "Pastor says Frozen will turn your daughters into Lesbians" and something about the gay agenda. And I wanted to slam my head into the steering wheel.

Sometimes I don't want to wear the label, "Christian."  It should be a hard label to wear because it calls me to serve others, to lift up the lowly, to love my enemies, to love when it hurts.  Instead, it becomes a hard label to wear because my brothers and sisters who also call themselves Christians are yelling hatred from the street corners. I fear being lumped in with "those folks."  And I fear even more that actions like that don't teach anyone anything the heart of God.

And I don't know exactly what to do about it.  That's why I wanted to post to tell y'all how sorry I am.  I apologize on behalf of any and all people who also call themselves Christian who have dumped hatred on you.  I'm not going to blast them. My sins are no less than theirs.  But that's my point, I guess - my sins are no less than yours or theirs. Ever. God's grace, Jesus' death on the cross was enough for me and for you. Period.  I am so so sorry for anyone who has ever made you feel differently.

There is no "us" and "them."  None.  Do you know what Jesus did about the "us versus them" problem? He stepped down out of heaven and became one of "us."  It's a we thing: none of us are perfect. I don't care if you are straight, cheating on your significant other, gay, serving the poor, gossiping, working to empower people in third world countries, running stop signs, or praying for those who persecute you.  Jesus came down and became one of US to show us God's love and grace.

So that's it. I have no excuses, no explanations. Just an apology. Because I'm going to keep being "a Christian" and I don't know what else to do other than to apologize when stuff like this happens.

I'm so sorry for stuff like this. Please forgive us. It's not an example of who Jesus is and I am so sorry for that. I'm sorry for the times I don't show y'all who Jesus is. I know that happens too.

3 comments:

  1. Unfortunately it happens all the time. I get so frustrated. I have not seen the movie, but I have heard that it sends a message to young girls that they are strong and do not need a man to rescue them. Too many of our young girls have that fairy tale of a man (not the God they should be looking to) to save them. Praying for the next generation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well written. I too get so frustrated when people fail to see the plank in their eye and loudly proclaim the speck in others'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. and once again you give me reason to believe we are soul mates.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. All comments are moderated (because I won't post it if you aren't kind), so it may take a little while for your comment to appear.