Pages

Sunday, July 15, 2012

Homeless Servanthood

I'm not sure if I've talked about my homeless friend on this blog or if it was on facebook, but I have a friend who is currently homeless who keeps his dress clothes on hangers and dresses up to attend church every Sunday. He's the man who, the first time I met him, asked for a Bible in his own language (he's Spanish-speaking) when I asked him what he needed. He didn't ask for food, clothes, or new shoes. He just wanted to be able to read God's word and understand it. Amazing.

I found out something even more amazing about that same friend today. But here's some background info first.  About three weeks ago, he had to leave the tent city where he'd been staying. And from what I gather, it was kind of a result of some unfair stuff going on.  I actually couldn't figure out where he was until Friday and I can't even tell you how much my heart leapt for joy when I saw him.  Regardless, he left the tent city, spent a night under a bridge, then fortunately was able to find a clearing and a broken-down tent to stay in. 


When I saw him on Friday, he asked me for a new tent because the one he's in is broken and it leaks and lets in mosquitoes.  He didn't tell me anything else.

This morning, I had the amazing honor to go serve some breakfast to homeless folks downtown before church with another church in our city. I saw a guy who looked familiar so I went up to him and we started chatting. As I was getting to know him, he told me where he was staying. It was the same area as my friend. I asked if he knew him. He said, "Yeah! He actually found me under the bridge and invited me to share his tent."

Seriously.

There is a homeless Christian man in my city living in a broken-down tent who is doing a better job of being the hands and feet of Jesus than I am.  He invited another homeless man to share his broken, leaky tent because he knew that was better than sleeping under the bridge. And they don't even speak the same language.

The opportunity to serve the homeless in my city is a gift God has given me. I am not worthy of the honor.  Some days I think my friends at the tent city don't know that I think they do more for me than I do for them. When I see that friend this week, I need to thank him for being quite possibly the best example of Jesus I know.  Wow.


1 comment:

  1. WoW! I wish more people were like this man!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. All comments are moderated (because I won't post it if you aren't kind), so it may take a little while for your comment to appear.