Pages

Friday, June 15, 2012

Father to the fatherless



I blog a lot about being a mom. Probably because that is my full-time job. And I often write about how I don't journey alone because I am so blessed to have a village of mamas who are helping me raise my children.

But there is someone else on my journey. Someone more important in my children's lives than the moms in my mom-network: their Daddy.

Two of my children have no clue what life would be like without a Daddy. One knows all too well what it feels like to not have one. And, praise God, those days are over!

Hands down, the greatest tangible blessing I have on this earth is the man who is the father to my children. A friend of mine posted a quote from Matt Chandler on facebook recently. It was directed towards single women, but I loved this sentence: "Your husband... will have an unbelievable amount of influence over your sons and daughters in regards to spiritual things. If you want your children to love Jesus deeply, hold out for a man that is Godly." Amen, brother.

If there is anything I can say about my husband, it's that he loves Jesus. More than he loves us, which is exactly how I would want it to be. I pray that my children will grow up and love and serve Jesus like their daddy does.

And this Father's Day, his best gift is that his son is here in our home, here in our arms. Last year, we knew his face, knew his name but were waiting to be allowed to go to him. Little did we know we'd get a call with our court date only days after Father's Day last year.

The Bible says God is a father to the fatherless, a defender of the widows; that He makes it known that he protects the weak and disenfranchised and that they have a place in his kingdom. (Psalm 68:5).  I cannot say how much  joy it brings me that my husband wants to follow a God like that.

And I know Father's Day is not a joy-filled occasion for all.  Many have lost fathers; many have living Fathers but have no relationship with them or only bad memories to keep you company on this day.  My prayer for all of you is that you'll cling to that promise we have from the Bible. God is a father to the fatherless, he sets the lonely in families.  Family is not always flesh and blood, a lesson I learned early in my life. If this is a tough weekend for you, know that you are prayed for; that God is there for you.

I know because He's done it for me; He's done it for my son. A boy without a father last year has a Daddy for father's day this year.  God is good indeed.

1 comment:

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. All comments are moderated (because I won't post it if you aren't kind), so it may take a little while for your comment to appear.