Pages

Sunday, May 20, 2012

Our Next Journey

Oh my... the Cassells are about to embark on another journey.  When we were in the process of adopting, I would tell people, "this is the hardest thing God's ever asked me to do." And I think most folks would assume that I meant it was the hardest thing God would ever ask me to do.  But I knew differently.

Over the past years, God has really laid it on our hearts to plant a church.  We've known we would eventually do this before we even started the adoption process, we just never really knew when. After lots of prayer, we know now is the time.

We are leaving our current church family at the end of the summer to plant a church here in Greensboro. 

Holy cow!  I am so excited and I know God is going to do some amazing things through the people He calls to join us. I need to get Rob to do a guest post so he can explain all the plans.

And, of course, I'm a little scared. Some of my prayers sounded like this, "Okay God, I trusted you through an international adoption... don't you think I've learned enough from that?!?! Haven't I proved that I trust you??"  We are stepping out on faith again, not knowing exactly what Rob's salary will be, having no idea at the moment how we will all have health insurance this fall, but trusting completely that God already knows how it will all work out.

While I am beyond excited to see what God's going to do next, there is a big part of me that is sad to be leaving the church where we have served for almost seven years. We love love LOVE the youth and their families. I have some very dear friends there. Today was a hard day, first telling the youth and their families that we are leaving, then telling our whole church.

But you know what? I think that's okay. I think it's fine to be excited and nervous and sad all at the same time. I know without a doubt that God led us here to Greensboro, that we were supposed to serve at our church here. And while I am sad to leave, I know without a doubt that we are called to move out to something different.

And on another note: today was the first day of the seven month fast!  That means I had to endure my very emotional morning without any coffee! Let's be honest: today's been a little rough.

But we were actually running early for church this morning and as we drove, the kids spotted a homeless man with a sign at a stoplight. He was on the opposite side of the road but we had time to spare, so we pulled into the parking lot. I got out of the car and was able to give him one of the little snack bags the kids put together.  I had been thinking about the coffee I was missing; but after talking with the man (his name is Thomas), I learned a little about him, asked how I could pray for him.  And I continued on my way, humbled.

This is what the seven month fast is all about. I'm not looking for more rules to follow. There is nothing I can do to make Jesus love me more; it's not about gaining favor with God.  It is about making myself open to opportunities, to cause some friction in my life so that I HAVE to rely on God.

So stay tuned. I guess this adoption blog is going to have some church-planting flavor from now on :)

5 comments:

  1. This is wonderful news! I remember talking with Trey many years ago when we were in Greensboro that there were many areas in town in need of church plants. How thankful we are that your family has accepted the call. It is the most rewarding, humbling, frustrating, challenging, exciting work you can be a part of. Looks like our lives are running backwards: you adopt and then plant a church, we plant a church and then adopt! Either way, let's continue to be about changing lives!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure today was a hard day for you guys, but I am so so excited to see where this goes!! It's really exciting to me. Let me know if I can do anything to help??

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew about all of this ahead of time and yet the tears poured out on Sunday morning. I will miss seeing your family's sweet faces inside those walls, but I know our relationship goes far beyond that. Chris and I are so thrilled to see your family ACT on a calling, going out and DOING. I know God has big things in store for you and I can't wait to see things unfold. I can only pray to be so strong when the time comes for us to take the next step of faith.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so excited for you guys & will definitely add this to my prayer list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very exciting news Kirstin!! Look forward to hearing the details as the plan unfolds. Blessings to you all!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. All comments are moderated (because I won't post it if you aren't kind), so it may take a little while for your comment to appear.