Pages

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Ode to my sling...

I am an avid baby-wearer.  For the past five and a half years, I have had a child tied, strapped, or attached to me in some way. Honestly. I was still wearing Riley in my maya wrap when I was 9 months pregnant with Allyn. And we still had the sling in the car and used it regularly with Allyn until I packed it up to bring it to Ethiopia with me. And Amani just might spend more of his waking hours in the sling than out of it.

People almost always comment on my sling when we are out and about. And I routinely tell people that if I could have only one baby item, the sling would be it!  It is my saving grace, my sanity, the way I am able to bring all three kids anywhere our little hearts desire us to go. It's how I can pick Riley & Allyn up from school and carry all their school stuff, and their still-wet artwork and notes from their teachers while still carrying Amani down the stairs, through the building, and out to the car without breaking a sweat.  When Amani wouldn't let the nurse put that finger-thing on him (you know, that thing that checks his pulse and his O2 sats?), all I had to do was put him in the sling first and then he let them do it without much fuss. I'm telling you, my sling is magic!

And guess what?  No sling for a week!

Commence panic.

Because of, ahem, the nature of his surgery, Amani can't be held on my hip for a week. Plus, he has a catheter for a week (lovely).  Which means no sling (and no riding toys either!).  I honestly feel as if I have lost an arm!  Because I can't put him on my hip, I pretty much have to use both arms to carry him. Usually I use NO arms to carry him (because the sling is just that awesome).

This will be a week of creativity for me.  I have just two hours until it's time to pick the big kids up from school and as of right now, I have no idea how I'm going to manage it. Ha ha!  I kind of need to go to the grocery store too.  Not sure that's going to happen. Thank God the other mamas at preschool are wonderfully helpful. I have a feeling I'm going to need some assistance this week.

But we'll get through. I'm not (too) worried.

2 comments:

  1. Praying for Amani's speedy recovery!!! And, hoping this next week flies by for you... and you are back to the sling in no time : ) About this amazing sling... is there a particular style/brand you use?? I have been looking into slings/Bjorns/backpacks/etc, and there are just so many variations out there. I am hoping to use a sling with our little E when we bring him home : ) Thanks! ~Chrissy Graham

    ReplyDelete
  2. Three words (or maybe four): Harris Teeter ExpressLane. It's a life saver:)!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. All comments are moderated (because I won't post it if you aren't kind), so it may take a little while for your comment to appear.