Pages

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Just a sweet update

Three months ago today I picked our sweet boy up at the orphanage and brought him home with me to the guest house, never to live the life of an orphan again!  It has been a FAST three months!  We are still chugging along at our house! Things with Amani are still slowly getting better. I'm learning to measure progress against how he was months ago instead of days. It helps me see his overall improvement much better!  Although we are still looking for an attachment therapist just to check in with.

And we had our big craft sale at church tonight to raise money for the next trip to Swaziland. I haven't heard everyone's totals but I was able to raise over $300 towards Rob's trip. I'm pretty proud that I was able to make a bunch of stuff... and maybe now I can start going to bed before 2 am! ;)

Here are some of the latest things we've been up to:

He got his first haircut this month... a waaaaayyyy too short haircut but it's growing back fast! :)

I'm learning that "Amani" sounds a lot like "Mommy" and I often answer "Yes?" when I hear Riley or Allyn say it only to then hear, "I'm not talking to YOU Mommy, I'm talking to Amani!"

Allyn relishes her new role as both a BIG sister and a LITTLE sister. She tells me about it all the time; then proceeds to analyze all her friends' statuses in their families.

Amani LOVES to kiss. He blows kisses and give kisses all the time. Very slobbery, but very sweet. He has also learned to dance. The poor child is learning to dance from his VERY white family, but it's dancing nonetheless. And he loves it. We have dance parties almost every night before bedtime.

Amani has solidified his place with Riley's friends as "King" of whatever they are playing. Today it was "King of the Snakes." Those boys in Riley's pre-K class sure are sweet to him.

I chuckle sometimes at the outings he's been on since he left the orphanage: the children's community theatre's rendition of Aladdin and the Princess and the Pea, Disney Princesses on Ice, trips to the Science Center to see tigers, meerkats, and turtles.  It's amazing to think that three short months ago he'd never left that little room at the orphanage.

Amani has some friends! Granted, they are the younger siblings of some of Riley and Allyn's friends, but they are around his age and know his name! And he has a baby friend that he definitely recognizes and goes to check in with every day on the playground.

And we took some sweet Christmas pictures in the matching pj's their Grand sends them every year. It was so sad that we couldn't have ALL the cousins together for a picture, but I'm hoping that the pjs will still fit everyone so that we can re-enact the holiday get-together sometime this spring when we can finally travel with Amani again!

Here is quite possibly the best picture I've ever been able to take of the kids:

and one that is MUCH more indicative of their normal behavior:


And then, my favorite.  With all the adjustments we've had to bring Amani into our family, Riley and Allyn have yet to show any resentment towards their little brother. I know this may change, but for now, they just l-o-v-e our little guy:

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful!!!! I absolutely LOVE this new picture of all three smiling, looking forward, and being so genuine...it's now my screensaver! And, I just ordered a copy on Shutterfly!!! Love & big HUGS coming to all...'auntie'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very sweet post : ) I'm loving the pj's!! And the pics! Very cute!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. All comments are moderated (because I won't post it if you aren't kind), so it may take a little while for your comment to appear.