Pages

Saturday, April 30, 2011

ONE YEAR!

One year.
Three hundred and sixty five days.
8,766 hours (thanks, google!)
Five Hundred, twenty-five thousand, six hundred minutes
Five Hundred, twenty-five thousand moments so dear
Five Hundred, twenty-five thousand, six hundred minutes
How do you measure, measure a year? (sorry, I couldn't help it... I just love Rent!)

A year ago today, I checked my email and let out a shout for joy.  I saw this:

The long-awaited news that we were finally on the waitlist!  After 4 months of paperwork, we were officially waiting for a little boy from Ethiopia. We were overjoyed!

And if anyone had asked if I thought that we would still be on that wait list one year later, I would have said, "no way."

Yet here we are.  We are still waiting for a referral.  No news yet on who this next child of ours will be.  We could get a call tomorrow. Or in 2 weeks. Or three. Or two months. I don't know.  But when we started this journey, we knew there were no guarantees.  And there is a child in Ethiopia we desperately want to parent. We've officially waited a year for him. We'll wait as long as it takes.

In the past year we have celebrated others' referrals. We've gotten to know families in the area who have adopted from Ethiopia and now call them friends.  We have "blog friends" who are on the wait list along with us.  We've done some major (and minor) fundraising. We've prayed. We've cried. We've cried out to God.  I learned to cook Ethiopian food.  We went to Swaziland and stood on African soil and prayed for our son and for the children of the families we know who are also waiting.  Our "baby in Africa" has woven his way into our lives.

Lord, let my phone ring... we are so ready to move forward!

1 comment:

  1. One less year you have to spend without your baby boy! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. All comments are moderated (because I won't post it if you aren't kind), so it may take a little while for your comment to appear.