Pages

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Movie weather

You know how in movies the weather seems to match the mood? Everyone's sad and bummed out and the weather is oh-so-conveniently rainy and dreary.

Well I think I might be in a movie. It's rainy and dreary and that's kind of how I've been feeling these past two days.

We've been getting progressively worse news on our adoption since the end of December but most of it has come in the last two weeks.  Yesterday I was driving to an adoption event and, to be honest, I didn't really want to go. I didn't want to talk to other adoptive moms. I didn't want to have to say out loud what's going on with Ethiopia.  It was drizzling when I left the house and then an all-out rain storm hit us about halfway there.

I'm glad I went (cue little ray of sunshine and maybe a bird tweet). The moms who were there also happen to be my friends and they were wonderfully supportive and made me feel much better about the situation. Thank God they did. When I got home I saw the official US Embassy announcement about Ethiopian adoptions. And it's not good (cue thunderclap).

It was raining this morning as I packed up the injera and aterkik alitcha I had made to bring to Riley's school for their "Trip around the World." His classroom was Ethiopia. I spent all morning talking to the different classes about Ethiopia, letting them try the food, and talking about what life is like for kids there. And it rained all morning.  I, however, didn't cry, so I consider that a success.

Now it's a rainy, dreary afternoon.  The kind where you just want to curl up in bed with a book but end up falling asleep before you've read three pages.  It's the kind of weather that's the opposite of motivational - you don't want make any major decisions on a rainy day.

And today I'm not making any major decisions. I have said out loud that this situation could mean that we may not be able to adopt from Ethiopia. This is true, we may not.  But we don't have to jump ship just yet. We aren't making any major decisions. Because we didn't begin our journey towards Ethiopia on a whim. It was well thought out and covered in prayer.  Any other decisions we may make will be done in the same way.

Please pray for us. Pray for me - I'm not handling this as gracefully as I would like. But more importantly, please pray for the children of Ethiopia. I can handle the emotional pain that would come from not getting to adopt a child from Ethiopia. I can get through that. But what it might mean for those kiddos who would never know forever families is a much greater wound. Please pray for them and for their government.

6 comments:

  1. I wanted to call you so badly while reading this post. But I realized that I am crying and that is not what you need right now. I love you guys so much and I'll keep praying for the children of Ethiopia and your little one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking of you and your family. My heart is breaking for all of the children and families waiting to be united. Hope to see you all soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, I just looked online and read some of the info out there regarding the situation in Ethiopia. Just the numbers of children affected is mind boggling and now I can clearly see why you are so incredibly heartbroken for all of the orphaned Ethiopian children. I am too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband and I are also on the waiting list for Ethiopia through Gladney so I know EXACTLY how you feel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I keep coming back to reread your updates - my heart and daily prayers are sooo with you, but sometimes I just don't have words to offer....
    Love & big hugs to all...-auntie-

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. All comments are moderated (because I won't post it if you aren't kind), so it may take a little while for your comment to appear.