Pages

Saturday, February 26, 2011

I hate math

I've never liked math.  In college, I got around our math requirement by taking a class called "Calculus for Everyday Living." You only had to show up on test days.  Perfect for me, the math-hater. And that class is a lie, by the way: I'm still pretty certain I do NOT use calculus in my everyday life.  Although I'm not sure I really remember what calculus is, so maybe I do.  :)

I'm hating math again these days. In particular, calendar math.  With this delay and with the lengthening time frames around getting court dates and embassy dates, I am realizing that not only is it very possible our baby won't be coming home this summer, but that we might be affected by the 2 month break the Ethiopian government takes every year during the rainy season (around August-September-ish). There's also another possible delay in the works... on our own government's end this time.  Is there really a chance our baby would be barely home by Christmas? Or not here at all?

I need to stop doing math.

Because, as I was reminded this week... God says, "Rejoice in the Lord always."  Not just on good days or easy days. And there's no "except if you're doing an international adoption" clause. Trust me, I looked.  And God must know us so well because he promptly follows that up with "do not be anxious about anything."

I have some little things to rejoice over... I accidentally started my big re-do project in the house this weekend. I'd planned to work on it when I was stressed over court dates & such. But I picked up a paint brush Friday morning and haven't really stopped since!!! I now have repainted trim in most of the house AND a refinished fireplace. Go me :)  And I'm officially taking a big break from taking on sewing orders... I have to finish Allyn's quilt for her big girl bed AND all the fun stuff I'm sewing for my living room re-do. I love sewing. l-o-v-e.

And during my last little foot-stomping fit over the adoption delay, God was kind enough to remind me that adopting an orphan is not the ONLY thing He has for me to do.  I was so mad thinking "God wants us to do something about orphans and I'm trying and there are barriers in my way! (insert foot stomp)" Next thing I know, God's pointing me in another direction. How dumb of me to think I can serve Him by doing one thing at a time. So I am cooking dinner for ten women at an overflow homeless shelter on Tuesday of this week. I'm really excited about that and hope it's something I'll have an opportunity to do again.

So I do rejoice! I praise God that he keeps me from having tunnel-vision, from getting (too) selfish.  He saves me time & time again from my own little pity-parties.

He's pretty cool, that God I serve. And He NEVER asks me to do math. ;)

6 comments:

  1. I hope this will raise your spirits a little more-- another blog I follow-- a design blog, no less-- chronicles a couple who are also adopting two babies from Ethiopia. They were waiting, as you are, for a referal, and then, out of the blue, they have a court date only a month after their letter and a hopeful "take-home" date that is only 6 weeks after that! They have been on their journey a bit longer than you, but not by much. They plan to stay, somehow, in Ethiopia, until the babies can come home with them, meaning they will be parents to two new wee ones in only 3 months. I hope God shines on you as He has on them, somehow. In the meantime, paint and sew:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I KNOW!!! I've had a little hyper-ventilation after doing some Ethiopia-adoption related math, too! I never in a million years dreamed we'd be facing another rainy season. We're there with you, waiting, praying, hoping. I just keep saying to God, "God, I have no idea what you are doing, but I know it's going to be GOOD!" Just trusting Him that somehow He's going to use these delays for His glory!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blog - and really do hope you publish it one day for other waiting parents....but I've also been having a lot of 'Rip Van Winkle' moments lately where I just don't know where the time has gone - so I know it won't be long before you'll be looking back saying 'wow...seems like yesterday we were waiting for him to arrive and look how quickly the years have passed'...love you hon!
    -auntie-

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love your writing and your ability to see God's will in every barrier that stands in your way. Maybe God really wants your son to have a newly redone living room or for his big sister to have a new quilt. :)

    I love you and I'm praying for you always.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stay strong! Thanks for all the updates on your blog. I can't imagine how hard this is for your family but I know everything will all work out beautifully in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved your comment on not having tunnel-vision! Must concentrate on that myself! Thank you for your words.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. All comments are moderated (because I won't post it if you aren't kind), so it may take a little while for your comment to appear.