Pages

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

NOT about me...

Our Both Hands story was on the news tonight. It was very exciting to think that our story's been shared with lots of people. And the kids thought it was cool to see our family and friends on TV.

Here's my problem - the segment is called "Hero Central." Y'all have heard me struggle with this before. It took me years to overcome low self-esteem and I finally did it by recognizing who I really am: a beloved child of God.  The last thing I want to do now is to swing to the other side. I don't want to be prideful about what we've done. Because we didn't do it. God tells us in the Bible to help widows and orphans - so we have. That's it. I posted a link to it on my facebook page and now I'm afraid to check it. I'm scared I'll see nice comments about how great we are.  We are NOT great. God is. I'm a chronic over-analyzer, and now I will go to bed fearing that people will think that I posted the link to the story so that I could spread the word about how great we are. Ugh - I don't want to do that.

But thinking that way makes it all about me again (sheesh!).  I have been praying for this fundraiser almost as much as I've been praying for my son in Ethiopia. I pray that this entire adoption process would glorify Him.  And this is just one more part of it. If just one person saw the news tonight and thought "wow- a God who would take care of widows and orphans in that way must be pretty cool" then I'm happy.

So if you watch this (or watched it), please read between the lines: this story is about Jesus. Leigh, the newscaster who did the story on us, is a Christian and if you notice she starts the whole story by quoting part of James 1:27.  That's what it's all about. God tells us to take care of orphans and widows.

And isn't it amazing what happens when we do what God tells us to do?

So... deep breath. Here it is:  http://www.digtriad.com/life/community/herocentral/story.aspx?storyid=150000&catid=256

3 comments:

  1. In my personal unbiased opinion (as if that would ever be possible but I'm trying as hard as I can), I don't believe that you came across in ANY way like you were trying to make it about you. If someone reads into it this way, they just might have a psych problem. I think that God did a great job of guiding your words and that it came across as a work not of you but of Him. I hope that God was able to quiet your mind and sleep comes easily! Love y'all!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for posting this for those friends of yours that love you but don't live nearby to see this. The Queens love and miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I watched the program and didn't think you were saying 'look at us'...I saw it as saying 'look how simple the gift of giving can be and how incredibly rewarding it is' - and I have no doubt you inspired people to get off their couches and reach inside themselves to find a way to help others. A huge part of my pride in you is the way you've helped me look into myself...love you bunches! -auntie-

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. All comments are moderated (because I won't post it if you aren't kind), so it may take a little while for your comment to appear.