Pages

Saturday, October 23, 2010

PROJECT DAY!

Wow. Today was our Both Hands Project Day. I don't even know if I can adequately describe just how awesome the day was.  We had an INCREDIBLE team come work on Dottie's home today.  Here are the fruits of our labor:

BEFORE! Look closely - you can see rotting wood on the corners of the house
AFTER! Pretty new paint job and brand new wood to replace the rotted parts!


BEFORE - notice the rotting wood at the very top!

AFTER! Brand-new wood with a fresh paint job!
I have lots to say about today, but the biggest thing that sticks out in my mind is something Dottie said to me. She told me that this was the first time she has ever been "recognized" as a widow by someone outside her peer group and offer to do something for her.  She has been a widow for 25 years. Friends do check on her regularly and some men from our church helped fix her stairs when she had hip replacement surgery but they have all been in her same life stage.  She just couldn't believe we were really there to help her just because she's a widow. She kept saying how much she wants everyone at church to know what we've done for her because she hopes a project like this will happen again some day, not necessarily for her, but for some of the many other widows she knows.

You can't spend a day helping someone and not feel wonderful. I definitely have that "mission-trip" kind of glow about me. But I also am feeling convicted. It only took us about 6 1/2 hours to do all of that work on Dottie's home. She said to me "I know this is just one day for you, but this means the world to me."  Six and a half hours out of my life to "mean the world" to someone.   This kind of "event" shouldn't be an event at all. It should be just something we do.

I know I've left this experience with a greater commitment to the widows in my community. I won't be waiting for an "event" for my next chance to do something like this.

And lastly.... THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU to our amazing, incredible, wonderful Both Hands team.  Y'all were absolutely great today!! You took time out of your regular life and not only helped a widow, but are helping bring an orphan home to his forever family.  You are part of our child's story. We will never forget that. We love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. All comments are moderated (because I won't post it if you aren't kind), so it may take a little while for your comment to appear.